After you try these cookies, you will never eat another “plain” snickerdoodle again or any other kind of cookie; they are that good. The process is a little bit long & complex, but believe me, these cookies are worth every second of work put into them. This recipe is compliments of Vanessa from Clean Eating With a Dirty Mind. She specializes in Paleo desserts and treats so the next time you want something really yummy, go check out her blog & make one of her recipes. This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.
- 1-1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut crystals
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Kerrygold grass-fed butter, browned
- 1 organic cage-free egg
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 Tbsp canned coconut milk, full-fat
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
For rolling mixture:
- 1/4 cup coconut crystals
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut crystals, cream of tartar, baking soda, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and salt, set aside
- Brown the cup of Kerrygold grass-fed butter. Put the butter in a saucepan and continue to whisk constantly over medium heat until the butter turns brown and starts to give off a toffee like aroma. Immediately remove from heat so it doesn’t burn. Set aside and let cool.
- In a separate bowl add the egg, raw honey, coconut milk, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Stir until combined. After the browned butter has cooled (you don’t want to cook the egg on accident because the butter is still too hot) stir it into this mixture
- Now pour in the liquid browned butter mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. At this point you will have a dough that has a consistency similar to cake batter. Refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours and it will harden and thicken up. You can even throw it in the freezer for a bit. Do not skip this step, I promise it will be worth it.
- Prepare your rolling mixture in a small bowl
- After your dough has hardened, preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Grab a piece of dough and roll it in a ball, then roll it into the coconut crystal/cinnamon rolling mixture and place on the baking sheet. Lightly press the end of your palm into the dough to flatten it a tiny bit, don’t press too hard, you only want a slight indentation. The cookies will spread a bit while baking.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then let cool. I let mine cool on the baking tray because when I tried to transfer them to the cooling rack they were so soft they fell apart, but after they cooled on the tray they solidified and became easily moveable
Direct link to recipe: Browned Butter Snickerdrooldles